Founded in 2013, AbbVie is a global, research-driven biopharmaceutical company committed to developing innovative advanced therapies for some of the world’s most complex and critical conditions. The company now employs more than 2,500 people across nine sites in Ireland.
The company’s mission is to use its expertise, dedicated people and unique approach to innovation to markedly improve treatments across a number of therapeutic areas, including immunology, oncology, virology, aesthetics, neuroscience and eyecare.
AbbVie was recently listed as the No. 3 Best Large Workplace in Ireland 2021. It is the eighth consecutive year that the company has featured on the list and its sixth placing in the top three remains the highest placed company in the Irish biopharmaceutical/pharmaceutical industry. The Institute also recognised AbbVie as a Best Workplace for Women for the third successive year. AbbVie is one of just 22 companies in Ireland to receive this accolade in 2021. The programme recognises organisations that provide a great work environment for all employees but create positive and supportive workplaces for women in particular.
STEM Teacher Intern Role
- Review and evaluate the host’s approach to STEM engagement.
- Help to craft a long-range plan re future STEM-focused engagement with various stakeholders, including (but not exclusive to) educators and students.
- Work with the project team on the planning for the 2021 Sligo Science Festival (during Science Week). AbbVie is a main sponsor of the annual event.
- Work with STEM leads across Ireland sites on the implementation of STEM-focused training to ensure the 30+ team of volunteers are equipped to adequately engage with.
- Participate in induction training with HR teams and attend a number of sessions and events with other Interns over the course of the placement to get a better understanding of the company and our industry.