SSE Airtricity is the largest generator and supplier of green energy in Ireland, proudly providing 100% green electricity, natural gas and energy-related services to around 700,000 home and business customers. Since 2008 SSE has invested significantly in Ireland, with a total economic contribution of more than €3.8bn to the economy. SSE owns and operates 28 onshore wind farms totalling 890MW across the island of Ireland, offsetting over 700,000 tonnes in carbon emissions annually. SSE Airtricity is certified by Business in the Community Ireland to the Business Working Responsibly Mark, the ‘gold
standard’ for Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability in Ireland. The company has approx. 1,000 employees on the island of Ireland and is a certified Living Wage employer.
STEM Teacher Intern Role
The STInt Intern will work within the Renewables business of SSE in Ireland which will provide the intern with the opportunity to gain exposure to STEM-related careers within our business. Working with the Blue Seas’ team on the early stage of development of offshore wind farm projects. Involved with Engineering, Project Management and Corporate Affairs teams to gain an understanding of the technical and socio-economic considerations involved in large scale projects. The will involve:
- Design and develop a suite of resources for primary and post-primary students explaining offshore Wind and offshore Wind Farm projects.
- Working as part of a team, engage and deliver education presentations to schools.
- Develop links and build relationships with education bodies e.g. schools, colleges, education partners etc. and other agencies as appropriate.
- Identify opportunities to support research and innovation across the developing offshore wind sector.
- Support the introduction of apprenticeships, traineeships etc. to develop skills and capabilities needed for roles in the offshore wind industry.
- Engage with supply chain to identify skills needs, and how, as a company, SSE can help support training, upskilling and transition to future roles in the offshore wind sector.
We will also place a STInt Intern on our data analytics team in SSE Airtricity, which provides a range of reporting and insight support across SSE Airtricity’s business, including Energy Markets and the retail businesses of Home Energy and Business Energy. The purpose of the team is to deliver insights which help the business achieve targets such as optimising profits, reducing risk, understanding customer behaviour and optimising customer experience.
Our STInt interns will also work alongside our onshore and offshore teams to support deliver key projects and to support ongoing initiatives. Our intern will be fully embedded within their teams and will be included in team meetings, company initiatives and social events.